We are in exciting times when it comes to myopia management treatment options for your children.
These are specially designed hard contact lenses worn while your child is sleeping and taken out in the morning. The custom lenses work to gently and comfortably reshape the front surface of the eye (cornea). This is achieved indirectly by the interaction between the hard contact lens and tear film through hydraulic forces. In effect, the child will enjoy clear and comfortable vision that lasts all day – it is necessary for the child to wear their lenses every night to maintain the effect everyday. These lenses are customized for the specific shape and size of your child’s eye and primarily designed to slow down your child’s myopia progression – the bonus is daily clear vision.
- Parents appreciate that these lenses stay at home – no risk of a child losing them outside
- No need for glasses or regular contacts during the day*
- Excellent option for physically active children i.e. swimming
Their patented technology allows excellent vision for your child while simultaneously addressing myopia progression. The ActivControl® Technology is a special optical design of the contact lens that differentiates them from regular contact lenses. These lenses are worn during the day and taken out at night – opposite to orthokeratology.
- Freedom from glasses all day
- Lenses are designed for children’s ease of use and parental peace of mind
- Fresh pair of contact lenses everyday to promote excellent ocular health and hygiene
Prescription Low-Dose Atropine Eye Drops
A well researched option for the management of myopia are prescription eye drops. These are formulated to a specific concentration known to reduce the progression of myopia. The drops are typically applied at night before bed and your child wears glasses or contact lenses during the day.
- Excellent option for parents and/or children who are not ready for a contact lens treatment option
- Usually the treatment of choice for younger children or those showing rapid progression
- Evidence based research demonstrate the greatest percentage of decreasing myopia progression
These are spectacle lenses that uses the D.I.M.S. Technology (Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments). It was clinically proven to succeed in the control of myopia progression as it simultaneously provides clear vision centrally and constant myopic defocus peripherally. Participants who completed the 2-year trial wearing MiYOSMART with DIMS Technology had myopia progression reduced by average of 60%.
At times, your child’s prescription may be outside the parameters of any one of the strategies in isolation. To help your child see and be functional during the course of the day while managing myopia progression, we may require a combination of treatments to achieve the desired visual outcome.
Other times, your child’s prescription and/or axial length growth may be increasing at alarming rates and we may choose to incorporate combination therapy to help curb the changes more effectively.